Tuesday, November 8, 2011

QR Codes - Be careful out there!

In today's smartphone world, many people are familiar with QR (Quick Response) codes.  But, for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, let me explain.  A QR code is the funny square box that you see on many products and in many ads today.  You can use a scanning app (such as Scanlife or others) on your smartphone to photograph the code and then be taken directly to a particular website or webpage.  For example, if you scan this QR code it will take you directly to my website.  
pookbelliniQR.png
I mention this because, while I love this technology, it also scares me a little... actually, a lot.  I fear that our phones and all the GPS locator apps set us up for possible invasion into our personal lives.  We have invited the world into our phones, tablets, and computers and all the private information we have stored in them.  With that thought always being in the back of my mind, I wasn't surprised to see the article I've included below about the potential dangers of QR codes.  Do I feel safe because I'm an iPhone user not an Android user?  Not really.   

My message today is to be careful out there... there is malware out there that will do you harm.  Be vigilant in keeping your personal information secure.  When ordering things online or going to any site that asks for personal information, make sure the URL begins with https:// - that "s" after http means "secure."  

BTW (by the way), I can assure you that if you use my QR code, it will only take you to my website... no malware hidden in there!

No comments: